organization, assignment turn-in policies (FLTEACH)
From: "Lisa Sragovicz" profesora@DSLEXTREME.COM
To: FLTEACH@LISTSERV.BUFFALO.EDU
Sent: Sunday, December 04, 2005 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: Advice = Hold students accountable>
Hi there,>
As mentioned, there is wonderful advice for new teachers on the archives! It helped me immensely last year! As for me, I say you have to think like a teenager. They want to know if each activity will be graded and how... They want to know if there is a possibility of doing it late, or doing half of it, or maybe the homework completing itself! For me it has been helpful to give the students as much responsibility as possible. Especially in terms of homework and compositions. It helps me stay organized and it helps them learn responsibility.> I understand this might be too heavy-handed at your school, but it works at mine. Many kids at my urban school, have a "low academic literacy." And so they must learn how to be responsible students. Before I implemented this system, I had students hiding in the bathroom, on the day compositions were due. Then I had to wait three days to check the computer to see if they had an excused absence or not! We don't use readmit slips, so I was in a pickle every time I had a big project due. I have had a couple of parents complain to the office about my policies, but luckily, I was completely supported by my administration. You must check the vibe of your own school and department... However, most teachers will agree that if you start off strict, you can > always lighten up!
1. I type a homework calendar monthly. If a student is absent on Monday, he/she must turn in the homework for Monday and Tuesday upon return. There is no grace period. (Unless a student is in the hospital...or something drastic has happened...) I also require that the parents sign the first calendar in September, so that they can help me "encourage their students" to do homework.
2. I NEVER accept compositions late. I write on the calendar, "if you are sick, send your composition to school without you." This works because students had advance notice of the deadline on the homework calendar.
3. Students have one week to schedule their own make-up exam. They must realize they missed a test. (Can you say, check the calendar?) Then they must sign up on the test make-up sign-up sheet. I offer tutoring and make-up tests every week Mondays and Tuesdays after school and > Wednesdays at lunch. Students know where and when to find me. If they do > not make up their test after a week, the score becomes a 0.
4. I encourage students to make a buddy in class and exchange phone numbers. Hopefully they will call this buddy if they get confused with the homework... I do not accept homework unless it is 100% complete and on-time. I give only credit or noncredit for homework. There is no half credit option.
5. I always try to be very clear with what is expected. For exams, I provide a study guide to take home, and a practice quiz to score and grade in class. I find that most of my students need to learn how to study, and what to study. As the year progresses, I involve the students in writing > their own practice quizzes.
6. For compositions and projects, I provide a scoring rubric. I try to provide a sample of an "A" composition, and explain the grading in detail. Then, I also have students score each other's rough drafts using my rubric.
7. Any student who packs up their bag before the bell rings is my rotten egg. I have all of my students on the look-out for the "juevo podrido." The students tattle on each other, so nobody ever packs up early, because they don't want to be the last one out of the room. I got this tip from an FL TEACHER and it's a great one.
8. Try to love your students and enjoy their company. They know if you are interested in your lives. Go to sporting events, plays, and concerts when you have time. I am very strict, but it doesn't hurt my rapport with the students. I explain the reasons for each of my policies and enforce them consistently. Bond your class together when possible. Celebrate birthdays, post their pictures, do whatever works with your style... My students often ask me to teach their other teachers how to be more organized. Ha ha! My students generally like the calendars and the rubrics and the study guides. Go figure! Anyway, I find that if students know exactly what is expected of them, and are held 100% accountable, they will rise to the occasion.
Suerte!
-Lisa
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home